Dell XPS 13 9380 (2019): Actually, A Lot Has Changed


The 2019 Dell XPS 13 is more than a minor update if you look closely.

[This is a first-take review and is not comprehensive.]

How about a shot of Whiskey with that laptop? My XPS 13 9380 comes with:

Intel Core i7 8565U "Whiskey Lake" processor (quad-core, 15 watts)
4K (3,840-by-2,160) touch display
16GB of LPDDR3 dual channel SDRAM (2133 MHz)
Samsung 512GB NVMe solid-state drive.
I've just started using the XPS 13 9380. Here are my initial impressions.

Keyboard: Improved over the 9370 (2018). The XPS 13 keyboards to date have been unremarkable. This one is different. I will delve deeper into this in a future review but suffice to say it feels better when typing -- more refined and much less generic


Display: Notebookcheck says their XPS 9380 4K display uses a panel from AUO -- not a Sharp panel, the latter Dell had been using for years. That's not a subtle change. (I haven't been able to verify if my unit has an AUO panel.)


Design: still one of the most compact 13-inch laptops on the planet, thanks to the thin bezels.

Materials: The machined skin (on the one I'm using) has a different texture compared to the previous XPS 9370.  I prefer the new texture on the 9380 skin.